– You Tube video (from beginning to 1:30 only)
1. What is government?
2. What do you want from government? Is government necessary? Why? Or why not?
3. From what you know, how is the U.S. Government different from the government in your native country? How is it the same?
4. Vocabulary – Here are some key vocabulary words from the You Tube video. Are you familiar with any of the words? How are those words used in the video to describe the U.S Government?
Be in charge of (verb phrase)
5. Can you think of a problem or need in society that the government helps with?
How does the government help?
6. Can you think of a problem or need in society that the government does NOT help with? How should the government help?
On the KQED news Election 2012 site respond to the question Tell Me What You Want, What You Really, Really Want on KQED’s Election 2012 blog. Then, using an issue they feel strongly about from the group exercise (above), follow this prompt to fill out the simple form with personal information, and answer the question.